Brockley Society was founded as a charity in 1974. Our founding constitution has been updated with a new constitution as a Community Infrastructure Organisation (CIO), Association model, registered with the Charity Commission on 2 December 2022. This better reflects our dual role campaigning on planning and conservation issues and as a community organisation engaged in wider activities.
The new CIO constitution allows two classes of membership:
1. Voting membership: open to anyone interested in furthering Brockley Society’s purposes (see Objects below). To become a (voting) member, please confirm your agreement by completing and submitting our Membership Form by email to chair[at]brockleysociety.org.uk. NB: an online form to complete the same information will be available shortly. By joining us as a Voting Member you can help us shape and develop our activities in the coming years.
2. Associate membership (non-voting): this is open to all. You do not need to fill in any forms – you are automatically welcome as an Associate Member.
Objects of the Brockley Society CIO (Charitable Incorporated Organisation)
1. To promote high standards of planning and architecture in or affecting the Brockley Conservation Area and elsewhere in the London Borough of Lewisham.
2. To educate the public in the geography, history, natural history, culture and architecture of the Brockley Conservation Area and elsewhere in the London Borough of Lewisham.
3. To secure the preservation, protection, development and improvement of features or areas of historic or public interest in the Brockley Conservation Area and elsewhere in the London Borough of Lewisham.
In furtherance of the above objects but not otherwise the trustees shall have the power to establish a neighbourhood forum for the Brockley Conservation Area and elsewhere in the London Borough of Lewisham to promote and or improve the social, economic and environmental well-being of the area.